Ecclesiastical and Byzantine Museum of Cephalonia
The Ecclesiastical and Byzantine Museum of Cephalonia is located inside the Holy Monastery of Saint Andrew of Milapidia at Peratata village and was established by the blessed Bishop of Cephalonia Spyridon.
The nucleus of thw Museum’s Collection consisted of the old Collection of the Metropolis of Cephalonia, which included icons and woodcarvings from churches and monasteries of the island destroyed by the ruinous earthquake of 1953. These precious objects were initially displayed in the old Katholikon of St. Andrew’s monastery, Milapidia along with the Monastery’s Council. Limited space and the constant enrichment of the collection though donations necessitated the creation of a new building for its housing.
In the three sections of the Museum are displayed woodcarving, portable icons and relics from the 16th through 19th centuries, which span the religious expression of four centuries and represent the artistic creativity of Cephalonia.
The exhibition was realized through the collaboration of the 6th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities with the Department of Conservation of Antiquities restored the works and promoted their display.
The museum is open daily from 8 am to 2 pm, except on Sundays which is closed. Tel.:+30 26710 69700